keep pool heating costs down The energy costs involved in keeping your pool running throughout the year can soon mount up, but we have some top tips to help keep pool heating costs down.

Even if you aren’t using your pool regularly doing the cooler months, maintaining it is still a year-long commitment. The good news is there are several cost-effective steps you can take to keep your pool running smoothly.

Invest in a pool cover

Evaporation from your pool removes heating energy and can be responsible for up to 70% energy loss. A pool cover can create extra warmth and help keep pool heating costs down. A good pool cover can retain the heat of your water and elevate the water’s temperature by as much as 4-8 degrees. This being the case, you may find that you don’t need to use your pool’s heating system quite as often, which will lower energy costs.

Switch to a variable speed pool pump

Your pool pump is without a doubt the most significant consumer of energy with most pumps using between 3000 to 5000 kWh and more per year.

The total expenditure of an average pump can be broken down in 20% for the upfront payment with the remaining 80% representing the ongoing electricity costs.

When you shop for a pool pump it makes sense to think of the longer-term picture. Using a variable pump pool that can be programmed to suit your pool’s needs in relation to filtration, cleaning, and sanitation can save you hundreds of dollar each year when compared to a conventional fixed-speed pump.

Keep pool heating costs down by turning down the temperature

By adjusting your heating temperature you can quickly and easily reduce your swimming pool’s energy bill. Did you know that each degree rise in temperature could raise your energy bill by 10-30%?

If you use your swimming pool less often in the cooler months, you might want to consider turning down the heating. If you mostly use your pool at weekends then turn the temperature down on a Sunday night and raise it again on the following Friday night. While these may seem only small changes, over time they can add up and save a considerable amount on your energy bill.

Switch to solar

One of the most cost-effective ways to heat your pool is to harness the power of the sun.

The pump circulates the cool water through the heated roof panels and then returns warmer water to the pool until the desired temperature is reached. Solar-powered heating on a sunny day can produce up to 4 times the heat energy of a gas or heat pump. But to take full advantage of solar pool heating, the panels must be sized and correctly positioned to optimise sun exposure.

If you need help in choosing the right pool cover to help keep pool heating costs down, then don’t hesitate to contact the experts at Just Covers by calling 1300 268377.